Typical tasks I work on with clients
Analysis of current learning and performance needs
Many begin with an assumption that training is the solution. But research clearly shows that it’s only one of the things that influence performance and often, training isn’t needed or is only one of the things needed.
See my chapter in the 2nd edition of the ASTD Handbook for a deeper explanation. Or ask me!
Doesn’t it make sense to start by asking whether training is needed since it’s such an expensive solution? And, if needed, what additional solutions need to be in place to make it work?
Consider working with me to do some or all of the following before you make expensive mistakes:
- Determine the business and individual results that are needed
- Analyze which learning and performance solutions are needed for desired results to occur
- Use research-based tactics for better results
- Analyze which barriers will need to be removed for desired results to occur
Training on designing better learning content
I have seen too much instructional content that gets in the way of learning and I am developing Make it Learnable modules to address this problem.The first will be out in mid-2016. Want me to train your team?
I'm on a personal mission to help people become better learning content developers!
Research and surveys
I have a great deal of experience and expertise in the design and analysis of surveys, especially for learning. I have also been involved in the design of crowdsourced observations, literature reviews, and other types of research.
Have a research project? Let’s work on it together!
Want to know what the academic research says about a particular topic? With access to full-text research databases, I can save you time by helping you formulate your question(s) and find authoritative answers.
I can tell you what the research actually says and help you find ways to apply it in your situation.
Speaking and Workshops
Here are just a few of the things companies and organizations ask me to speak and do workshops on:
- The most critical science of learning concepts for adult learning
- Why expertise is crucial right now and five ways to grow it
- Building instruction that works with how adults learn
- Applying the science of learning to eLearning
- The top five myths about learning (and what's actually true)
- Using flipped learning in your organization
- Ways to organize learning for better use and remembering
- Five tactics for eliminating unnecessary content and why you must use them
- Building valid multiple choice questions and feedback
I am as passionate as can be about these topics and care that people leave with tangible skills. As a result, I use pragmatic, hands-on, interactive approaches that don't cram content into unreasonable time frames. These may include blended (online, in-person, different modalities) in order to take advantage of the benefits of different learning modes.